12432 - Research position on ocean data assimilation
Job Opening cod. 12432
Research position on ocean data assimilation
(Deadline: March 31, 2023)
The CMCC Foundation is a scientific research center on climate change and its interactions with the environment, the society, the world of business and policy makers.
Our work aims to stimulate sustainable growth, protect the environment and develop strategies for the adaptation and mitigation of climate change.
Our Division of Ocean Modelling and Data Assimilation (ODA) is opening a research position on assimilating high-resolution observations to improve the Mediterranean Sea analysis and forecasting system (MedFS) and respective reanalysis system (MEDREA24). MedFS is one of the seven service providers of Copernicus Marine Service on the ocean state estimate and forecasting.
The job location is CMCC office in Bologna, Italy.
We offer a dynamical research environment where proactive approaches are fostered. The candidate will be part of the regional ocean modelling/data assimilation team at CMCC that develops and maintains the Copernicus Marine Mediterranean Forecasting System.
The main aim of this research position is to improve the variational 3D ocean data assimilation scheme, OceanVar, developed in-house at CMCC, in order to add the capability of ingesting very high-resolution observations such as 5 Hz nadir altimeter measurements, wide-swath observations from surface water and ocean topography (SWOT) or satellite sea surface temperature at the ocean surface as well as glider observations in the water column. The enhancements will be integrated to MedFS to produce an improved ocean analysis and eventually to the reanalysis system MEDREA24 which is based on MedFS.
The candidate is expected to communicate the developments and results through scientific papers, reports as well as oral presentations at internal and external meetings.
We are encouraging the candidates satisfying the below requisites:
- PhD in Physics, Geophysics, Applied Mathematics, or related scientific disciplines with a research background in data assimilation;
- Good knowledge at least one of the compiled programming languages (e.g., Fortran preferably, C, C++);
- Good knowledge of one of the interpreted programming languages (such as Python, R) to manipulate and visualize large geophysical datasets, and perform statistical analysis;
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems and scripting languages (e.g., bash);
- A very good knowledge of the English language;
- Good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
Besides, highly desirable earlier experience in:
- developing / using any data assimilation code/software;
- developing codes using version controlling systems (e.g., git);
- working on computed clusters / high performance computers (HPC).
Belonging to legally protected categories (ex L. 68/99) will constitute a preferential condition.
Some fiscal benefit could be applied for repatriated workers or foreign researchers/professors, having the requirements defined by Dlgs 147/2015 (for repatriates) or Dl 78/2010 (for foreigners).
We offer the opportunity to join our team through a temporary contract of 18 months starting from April/May 2023, with the possibility of contract extension based on performance, results achieved and new project opportunities.
Annual salary range is from 30to 42K€/year, comprehensive of benefits, depending on qualification and experience.
This job announcement is a public invitation to express interest for the above mentioned CMCC Position.
(Deadline: March 31, 2023)
Applicants responding to this posting declare that they have read, understood and agreed to the “Official Rule for the CMCC Personnel recruitment".
We will keep your information on file for up to 1 year.